Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The come back kid

Following through on my promise.

I haven't "given" anything up for lent in a few years, and often I've used it as an excuse to test my endurance and long suffering and not as a way to devote my time and energy to more virtuous pursuits, one of which is reading the Bible!

But this time I really thought about something that is a distraction, and a waste of time and that's facebook. I've been vacillating about giving it up "cold turkey" (gosh, sounds like I'm addicted to facebook), but something pulls me back in. How will I stay connected with people? How will I be able to see the pictures they are taking, or hear all the important comments they have? And then I realized what an idiot I sounded like. I'm not staying "connected" with these people. I'm refusing to have conversation with them and to meet with them personally. And more than half of those people I don't even care about (some of whom I've "deleted" and they return and ask me to be their "friend" again, cripes).

So, I'm giving up facebook for lent, because I have much more significant things to do. So if you're reading this, and miss me on facebook, call me, send me an email, or send a letter in one of those homing pigeons if you have one.

And to keep my ritual of long suffering trials, I'm restricting myself to one "dessert"/sweet per day. I'm not sure how this will bring me closer to God besides the fact that my prayer life will be more supplication of a tremendous burden and temptation concerning sweets.

1 comment:

Erica B said...

Hey Emily! This is Erica (Mills). Someone drew me into playing Farmville on facebook, which is just a stupid game like SimCity, but it's a farm instead. Anyway, I used to play it a lot and it consumed/wasted so much time. So I recently gave that up 2 weeks ago and I hardly catch myself even going onto facebook anymore! Haha, so I feel ya! Facebook can be good in some ways, but not in so many others. I just didn't feel like I was being a good "steward of my time". I still have it, but I feel more self control with using it. That sounds terrible... like I'm in Facebooks Anonymous or something. Haha! So hang in there!